Friday, March 30, 2012

AS FAMILIAR WITH THE WORKS OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN AS HE IS WITH THE GRIP OF EDDIE CICOTTE

"It is a life that can make you a perennial adolescent, where your needs and whims are catered to, and narcissism is as prevalent as sunflower seeds, a life that is about as un-family-friendly as you can imagine."

- On being a professional baseball player
- R.A. Dickey

If you read this blog, you're well aware that the HBWHOF loves the knuckleball.
I reserve a special place in my heart for the boys on the mound who can make that ball dance: Jim Bouton, Tom Candiotti, Charlie Hough, the Niekro brothers - Joe & Phil, Hoyt Wilhelm, Tim Wakefield and, currently, the lone keeper of the flame - R.A. Dickey.
The last couple of years I've watched Wake and Dickey every chance I could. Now, Wakefield has retired and only Dickey is left.
I've always liked the look of R.A. Dickey. Long hair, beard - the kind of dude who makes the Yankees front office shudder. But, now, I find out there there is a very complex human being behind the hair and the knuckleball.
R.A. Dickey has a book coming out. An autobiography entitled, Wherever I Wind Up that is to be published in a few days.
The book chronicles a difficult childhood and a hard road to the major leagues.
An alcoholic mother, poverty, sexual abuse, infidelity, a broken marrige and a nomadic lifestyle. Dickey is an enigma. A dude who's as familiar with the works of J.R.R. Tolkien as he is with the grip of Eddie Cicotte.
It appears that R.A. Dickey has, finally, found a home. He signed a two-year, $4.25 million contract with the New York Mets last year and I hope the cat has a great season. I'm really looking forward to his book.

Here's an excerpt from Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey's new book, which appears in the April, 2, 2012 issue of Sports Illustrated:
Wherever I Wind Up


No comments:

Post a Comment